La Divina Commedia di Dante

<i>La Divina Commedia di Dante</i>
I took this in Florence (Nov. 2010) at the Museo Casa di Dante

Monday, April 4, 2011

Final Project Idea

I'd like to look an the images of LGBT teenagers in TV and movies. Off hand shows like Glee and Degrassi come to mind. There are also images in the Showtime hit Queer as Folk. There there are movies like; Boy's Don't Cry, But I'm a Cheerleader, and Latter Days. I'm sure I can find more, but these are the things that I'm coming up with off the top of my head. There is actually a ton more stuff on Logo, and I've seen other movies, their titles just aren't coming to me at the moment.

Most of these images are not very positive. It is a clear example of Grinner, SCWAAMP, and heterosexism. Other examples play into the various discourses of Raby - particularly storm and becoming. One of the things that these media texts show is that being LGBT is something that goes with you everywhere and that can make life really complicated.

For teenagers today tv and movies are so often where they get their information. I will never forget watching Marco on Degrassi google search "I think I'm gay" and thinking that I should do the same thing.

Some starting thoughts. I'll put up another post and things start to come together more. Thanks everyone for the help in figuring out what we were supposed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment